Chief Technology Officer
CTO - EdTech - Barcelona
Want to work in an industry that is ripe for technological disruption?
Want to work for an innovative technology business that is leading and shaping just that?
FJR Executive have been retained by a high-growth EdTech to identify an outstanding CTO to help them on the next stage of there journey. The platform uses award-winning technology to deliver language and skills training online and on the ground to the B2B market in more than 150 countries.
The business has grown exponentially in the last few years and as such, they are looking to scale their technology under the leadership of a new Chief Technology Officer. Based in Barcelona, the role will report to the Co Founder/COO, and will direct and be responsible for enabling all technology systems, processes, software design and development within the company to achieve the strategy and business plans agreed by the Board to ensure that organisational goals and objectives are met. The successful individual will be an energetic, enthusiastic and passionate CTO who will lead the technology and engineering development for the business. The business is extremely proud of its culture and the successful applicant will be a champion of the values. They will be an outstanding communicator being able to articulate the requirements for the technology development and how they deliver the strategic plan. The business has strong private equity backing with ambitious plans for medium and long-term future.
An ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Proven success in building and leading a high-performing engineering team, and delivering on an ambitious roadmap
- Proven success in building a cloud-based tech platform, ideally from a low base to operate at significant scale
- Extensive understanding of scalable enterprise application architecture.
- Demonstrable experience of selecting and implementing agile software development practices to ensure continuous and timely delivery of projects
- Been directly accountable for technical contributions to the commercial strategy and transformation of that strategy into a technical roadmap;
- Been successful in an entrepreneurial or fast-growth environment; as a key member of a senior leadership team; as a trusted leader, influencer and clear communicator of the technology strategy at senior management, and ideally, board level.
You also need to show the following strengths:
- People management and leadership; you can motivate, delegate, and develop a team of developers to deliver results and reach their full potential. You give clear direction, provide a listening ear when the pressure is on and know how to keep them happy, engaged and productive. You are motivated by seeing the team succeed and knowing that your work had a huge impact on their success.
- Innovation and focus on continuous improvement; you have a passion for technology and you can identify the right tools, processes, and best practices needed to deliver on our vision. You keep your finger on the pulse and are aware of new developments and trends which enables you to make innovative suggestions.
- Strategic thinking and commercial understanding of business; you build a strong partnership with the Product team to prioritise projects, define schedules, and manage progress and are data-driven knowing when and how to utilise metrics.
- Outstanding communicator; you have personal stature, gravitas, exceptional relationship-building skills and are able to influence, with the right interpersonal skills to build trust and respect across a number of stakeholder groups; remain calm and collected under pressure.
- Start-up DNA: be resilient, gets things done, are comfortable with uncertainty, adaptable to change, used to working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment and understanding the balance and timing for when to be hands-on vs more strategic.
- Proven experience of demanding CTO positions.
- Proven experience of leading technological teams during change.
- Experience of creating drive and motivation among tech professionals.
- Ability to understand the requirements of a growing start-up.
- Practical, hands-on, development-oriented and able to roll your sleeves up.
- Motivated in developing new products and services and challenging the status quo.
- Relevant experience from the education sector is beneficial.
- Familiar with technologies such as React, GraphQL, PostGre, AWS, JIRA etc.
What's in it for you?
- The role is based in Barcelona so will offer all the benefits of living in one of the world's leading tourist, sports, cultural, arts and fashions centre's, coupled with a thriving and growing technology hub.
- The role will pay a six figure base salary with package.
- Being part of an award winning high growth business.
- Building a team to build technology that is truly for the betterment of the human race.
- Working with some truly exceptional people.